BISTIG (Kapampangan) (Beefsteak)
2 lbs. (1 kilo) round or sirloin tip steak
2 tbsps lemon juice (calamansi juice preferred if available)
cup soy sauce
6 whole peppercorns, crushed or equivalent ground black pepper
3 tbsp. cooking oil
1 medium-sized potato,
peeled and cubed into 1 inch square pieces
1/4 cup water
2 onions, sliced
1 pc. garlic, minced finely
- Slice meat 1/4 inch thick across the grain and cut into 2X2 inches pieces.
- Tenderize meat by pounding with tenderizer or the back of the knife.
- Combine lemon juice and soy sauce and marinade meat in mixture for 1 hour.
- In a kawali (wok) combine marinaded beef mixture, including marinade, 1/4 cup water, and 1 sliced onion and bring to a
boil. Simmer, cover and, cook until beef is tender (about 20 minutes).
- Drain, setting aside meat and saving the left-over broth or liquid in another bowl.
- Heat cooking oil in wok and saute garlic and 1 sliced onion.
- Add meat and cubed potatoes and stir-fry for one minute.
- Add left over liquid and simmer for 5 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.
- Adjust seasonings (add salt to taste as necessary and MSG if you prefer) and serve.